Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Confinement : Modern vs Traditional

Today is my 27th day of my confinement. Another 13 days to go and I can't wait for it to be over.
For the past 27 days, I've been following my mom's regime.. Regime is too harsh.. I should say.. my mom's diet.

Breakfast: Cornflakes / Half Boiled egg + toast and cup of Milo O
Lunch: Rice + Vege (tak sure sayur apa) + Ikan Haruan goreng/Bakar. Sometimes when I'm lucky, I'll have ayam masak kicap + plain water
Dinner: Same as above. Usually lunch is better than dinner.

Kalau nak ikutkan, berpantang cara mak lebih teruk. Based on her experience, her menu was only ikan kering and rice only. Can't imagine if I were to eat only that for 40 days.

Hubby wasn't that keen on my diet. He said it's not nutritious enough especially when the Irys is totally breastfed. He wants me to eat nutritiously i.e. eat more fruits, veges. Unfortunately, the food that he wants me to take is totally opposite the traditional diet. Kata hubby, kenapa perlu berpantang? Pantang cara org Melayu, Cina, India, org putih semuanya berlainan. Each have their own can / cant, do /dont during pantang. But the end result will be the same. For example, Irys was delivered through c-section while Hani (my niece) was through the normal delivery. My sis, fatiha berbarut, bertunku for the whole 40days. And me, since my cut still tak baik2 lagi, so I didn't berbarut or bertunku. But my tummy still end up like hers. Tapi kata org tua, kesan berpantang adalah untuk jangka masa panjang. But why don't doctors acknowledge this fact? Most doctors, if you ask them, they will say you can eat anything after delivery. Tapi kata org tua, tak boleh mkn tu, angin, tak boleh mkn ni, angin, mkn tuh sejuk.. so end up makanan yg boleh dimakan hanyalah ikan kering dan nasi putih. Sigh!

Frankly, berpantang nih sbnrnya depends on individual. If you believe it will give you to a certain result, than you proceed. Because, it's like what Hubby said, the end result will be the same.

p/s: So jealous!! My sis finishes her pantang today!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ntahla namie,that's the fact we(wifves to doctors) have to accept, abbas also said the same thing many times when i mentioned bout 'berpantang',after all badan kita yg akan rase in the future, so might as well just follow the elders, dorg dh rs kan, who knows penyakit2 tulang, saraf etc time dh tua might be due to 'tk berpantang'

Nadia said...

tuh la Awin, it's so difficult esp when both parties have their reasons. And aku pun tak berani nak langgar pantang sgt. But you are right, yg merasa nyer kita, badan kita and also what we eat will effect our baby since kita breastfeed kan? Tapi, bak kata org, ikut badan. Cuba dulu sikit2.. Good luck ye!

juicyjuice said...

mayb bcoz doctors think there is always ubat for any sickness kot Yaa. Anyway, check out mag Anis, April issue, ada citer sket pasal berpantang from islamic point of view